Wednesday, January 6, 2010

Thailand: the land of smiles

Source: The Sheaf
CHRISTONE FOTH
Exchange Student


I began my study abroad adventure in Bangkok on Sept. 10 after a long 27 hours of travelling.

Overwhelmed with excitement and anxiousness, I arrived late at the dorm and promptly went to bed. What I didn’t expect was to wake in a panic as I suddenly realized I was stranded, starving, and had no idea how to get around or where to get breakfast. Nor did I know who else was living at the dorm at this point.

Upon waking in the morning and realizing I was the only one up, I attempted to communicate with the security guard who had very limited English skills. After a few failed attempts he motioned for me to get on the back of his motorcycle and took me for breakfast.

Luckily it didn’t take long to learn how to get around. I quickly mastered every form of transportation available, including bus, tuk-tuk, motorcycle, canal or river boat, skytrain and taxis. I have come to love bus rides as it provides a great opportunity to see the city and the countryside while travelling to other parts of Thailand.

I am studying at Mahidol University International College, which is located just outside the city limits of Bangkok, Thailand. Mahidol University has a very large, landscaped campus that offers many services for its students. The school has a very strong reputation in Thailand, and I have enjoyed the classes I’m taking. These include business finance, international trade, intermediate macroeconomics and principles of marketing.

One thing that is different about studying at Mahidol is that all students are required to wear a uniform to classes and attendance is strictly enforced and taken in every class. This hasn’t turned out to be such a bad thing though, as I didn’t have to pack clothes for school because of the uniform and 10 per cent of our final marks in all classes are based on attendance, which is easy marks.

Living in the Chaiyapruk Village International House has been one of the most interesting cultural experiences I have had as there are 24 students from 11 different countries. I sometimes feel I have learned more about European living than Thai living as I’m surrounded by many Germans and Austrians, as well as students from France, Switzerland and Belgium. There are about 80 exchange students in total studying at our school from all over the world, and many of my good friends here are the exchange students.

My favourite part of studying abroad has been the opportunity to travel all over Thailand and to a few surrounding countries. I was able to schedule my classes so I only have classes on Tuesdays and Thursdays, leaving four-day weekends to travel.

I have travelled to nine different exotic locations in Thailand as well as spent five days in Malaysia and five days in Cambodia. My experiences have included riding elephants, visiting a long-neck tribe, seeing the Angkor Wat, viewing over a hundred temples and soaking up the sun on amazing beaches. Thailand truly is an amazing and diverse place to travel to and provides many different experiences than those offered at home in Canada.

I have thoroughly enjoyed my experience studying in Thailand and would recommend it to anyone considering an exchange. It is a great place to study if you’re looking for a destination that’s hot, cheap, easy to travel around and always full of excitement.

No comments: