Tuesday, November 17, 2009

Prom prompt ahead of Cambodian Open

17/11/2099
Source: espnsta

Thailand's Prom Meesawat is confident of returning to his best form and challenge for the Johnnie Walker Cambodian Open starting on Thursday.

Prom struggled with a shoulder injury during mid-season but the 25-year-old is optimistic he can conjure his old magic which led him to his maiden Asian Tour title three years ago.

The Thai will have to contend with the likes of Anthony Kang of the United States, currently third on the Asian Tour's Order of Merit, and last year's Johnnie Walker Cambodian Open runner-up Lam Chih Bing of Singapore in the US$300,000 full field tournament.

Other top names who will feature at the Phokeethra Country Club are 11-time Asian Tour winner Thaworn Wiratchant of Thailand, Marcus Both of Australia, India's rising star Anirban Lahiri and inaugural Johnnie Walker Cambodian Open winner Bryan Saltus of the United States.

"I had an injury on my left shoulder but it is now better and I am swinging better. I have more confidence now because I'm striking the ball well. It has been three years since my last win but I feel I am closer to winning again," said Prom today.

Prom, nicknamed the ‘Big Dolphin' due to his burly physique and the fact that he comes from the coastal town of Hua Hin, was delighted to be back at the highly rated par-72 Phokeethra course as it gives him a sense of being at home.

"I love to come here because there's a tinge of Thailand here as the course owner is Thai and many Thai players are also playing. This course is good for me and I am confident of having a good week," said the Thai, who is hoping to improve on his tied third place in 2007 and tied 23rd place in 2008.

Both is hoping to maintain his rich vein of form to launch a title charge in Cambodia. The Australian is currently in ninth position on the Asian Tour Order of Merit courtesy of four top-10 finishes this season.

"My whole golf swing has been a revolution since working with my current coach, Adam Fraser two years ago. We have made some minor tweaks in my swing and I came back in the second half of the year and started playing nicely.

"Things have been perfect for me as I am able to play a couple of events and go back and train on my game with Adam. It is even better when you are playing well and able to go home and work with your coach, make some minor alterations and return to competitive play," added the Australian, whose lone victory came at the 2003 Sanya Open in China.

Lahiri, currently in 29th position on the Asian Tour Order of Merit, will be looking to his victory in India two weeks ago to spur him on for a title assault.

"I managed to fix a few problems such as my mental breakdowns and that has helped me to win twice in India. It is great to be able to be back to winning ways and I just have to keep patient about winning on the Asian Tour. I know it will come soon enough," said Lahiri who has four top-10 finishes so far this season.

No comments: