Wednesday, October 7, 2009

Flight Review: Phnom Penh - Siem Reap, VN9855, Economy

Wednesday, 7 October 2009

Phnom Penh's domestic airport was empty when I arrived at 4:45pm for my 5:25pm flight to Siem Reap.

There was no line at the check-in counter allowing me to quickly get my boarding pass and a stamp verifying my payment of a US$6 departure tax.

I moved through the security checkpoint just as fast and soon discovered a very clean and new waiting lounge located outside the boarding gate.

There were several cafes and large comfortable couches, all with a view of the stationary planes and the tarmac.

A slight delay saw boarding commence at 5:25pm but it didn't take long as the plane was only half full.

I walked from the boarding gate onto the tarmac towards the ATR-72 operated by Cambodia Angkor Air, which Vietnam Airlines recently purchased a 49 percent stake in and codeshares with.

As I waddled up the stairs of the plane I was greeted by smiling flight attendants and shown my seat within the 2-2 layout.

The plane filled up within 10 minutes and after flight attendants graciously offered passengers towels and a drink and demonstrated safety procedures, the flight took off.

During the 40 minute flight, there was no turbulence and the seats provided a comfortable ride where I found no need to recline.

I couldn't see much of the view as it was getting dark, however, I did manage to get a glimpse of the flooded rice paddy fields as we got closer to Siem Reap.Before I knew it, the flight landed and I was back on the tarmac, this time walking towards the exit of Siem Reap's domestic airport.

No comments: